Who's Best for Cloud Based Business Phone Service?
companies between 2 and 15 people can do well by choosing hosted VoIP
if their business falls into one the right categories. Cloud based
phone services do offer tremendous value with advanced feature sets that can
enhance many business operations, however they might not always be the best
longer term choice economically, depending on how the phone system will be
used and which features are critical. Additionally, for small companies some
VoIP providers charge a fairly high amount when compared to large companies
whose shear size mandates large discounts. An example would be a provider
that comes in with a one year contract of a feature rich service (many
features all included) for a 15 person company with a cost of approximately
$5,000 per year, but other providers can offer you the ideal solution for
Other considerations would be the type of business; for instance a small
call center that needs a lot of inbound call capacity which will require
callers to be staged in a queue, a feature that can increase its monthly charges on
top of the number of lines used. Some cloud PBX providers do offer plans
that have some excellent feature sets that are tailored for small contact
centers. However, a growing business with several
locations which may only require a few lines each with a basic business feature
set is an ideal candidate for cloud phone service and will greatly benefit
from the flexibility, ease of installation and included support.
Here's which small companies should consider choosing a business hosted
VoIP service as a first choice
- A brand new company that has sales people that need advanced
communication features like find me, follow me, voicemail to email or
- Some businesses which have several remote or home working employees.
- Companies that need flexibility to increase or decrease call
capacity on demand.
- Companies with multiple locations.
- Small professional firms like real estate, attorneys, wealth
managers, and surveyors.
- Companies that might be relocating soon.
- Businesses that have a fair amount of International calls.
- Companies that require support and would not be capable of
managing their own IP phone system.
While there are many good candidates for a cloud based phone service, not
every business will end up with a financial benefit when measured over time and the better choice
might be an in-house phone system, like some of the ones we describe in
other articles. Part of the decision process should be based on who will and
who is capable of managing the phone system and the associated costs.
Which small companies might end up with a costly service?
- Some Larger Call/Contact Centers.
- Finance companies that have business models that require call
recording and storage, although some hosted VoIP providers do now
include call recording in plans with good prices. (See our review on
- Small companies that need tailored integration with specialized CRM packages
that will not integrate with hosted VoIP providers.
- Companies that do not have in place the correct cabling or network.
Some Great Benefits of Cloud Based Business Phone Service:
- Quick and easy Installation- Since no phone system resides at your business it's as
easy as opening an account and plugging in your phones. Features can be turned on with a few easy clicks.
- Connect through the Cloud- Remote workers can connect
through their own broadband connection. Multiple locations can dial by
- Maintenance part of the Service- The VoIP provider maintains
and upgrades the PBX, not you.
- Support from the Provider- As part of the service support is
- Advanced features- Hosted VoIP providers offer
advanced feature sets with occasional upgrades and new improved features.
Additional related articles:
Explanations of Business Phone Service Benefits of a Premise Based Phone System